Monday, March 20, 2006

Respiration and Circulation

"What's it for?"- Drone at auto-parts counter

Every time I need an auto part I have the same conversation. It goes something like this:

Me: "I need a distributor cap, Bosch part #: xxyyzz."

Counter Drone: "What's it for?"

Me: "Does it matter? I just gave you the part number."

Counter Drone: "Yeah but what vehicle are you putting it in?"

Me: "What does it matter? Is there a law against putting German parts in an American vehicle?"

Counter Drone: "No, I just want to make sure you get the right part."

Me: "I know what part I need. I need a Bosch #xxyyzz. Don't look it up by vehicle, just plug the part number into the computer because my car is definitely NOT in your computer."

Counter Drone: "Yeah but what's it for??"

Me: (sigh) "A 1981 DeLorean DMC-12."

Counter Drone: (taps on keyboard) "That's not in here."

Me: "No shit. I told you that. Go get your boss. I know damn well what kind of parts my car takes and it's none of your business what the application is. All you need to know is that I need a Bosch xxyyzz."

Drone Supervisor: "Hi, can I help you?"

Me: "I need a Bosch part number, xxyyzz"

Drone Supervisor: "Sure, what's it for?"

Me: (Heavy sigh) "Forget it. Just forget it."

And so it was when I visited the local auto bone-yard for a blower that I could use to circulate heat and keep the windshield clear. I told him I just wanted any old working 12 volt "squirrel cage" blower. We went 'round and 'round until I snapped and said that if he wanted to know what kind of vehicle it was for, to just come out and take a look.

He stepped around the corner and stopped in his tracks. He called one of his destruct-o-drones over from dismantling a Mercury Cougar and told him to "go to bin 22 and give this guy whatever kind of fan he wants". $15.00 and a small, Bosch recirc fan later, I headed back home. That was less painful than a normal parts-house thank God.

There are vents remaining in the dash left from the original heating system. It used a gasoline (of all things) heater. Sounds scary and dangerous to me. I'm glad it was all ripped out before I bought the thing. I've already gone to the local parts place and bought generic ventilation duct tubing that will connet to the vents. The next step is to get to Home Despot or Not-Lowe's and buy a general-purpose enclsoure box. I intend to cut a hole, mount the fan and connect the ductwork to the box. I'll also dissect an old heater or hairdryer and mount the heating coil in the box.

I haven't really had a big problem keeping the windshield clear, but it's been cold and I'm sure sick of it. It's March but it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Blech.

No comments: